Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Key to My Heart Mantel

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 085

I am joining Beth’s Valentine mantel party over at The Stories of A to Z

I really wasn’t planning on doing a mantel, but then I realized in the back of my I already had been planning one.  The best part of doing this mantel was that I didn’t destroy my family room in the process.  My family was at a sports activity, so I took my time, watched some American Pickers, and didn’t get myself too crazy like I sometimes do.  I was really not feeling the red and pink thing, so I went for a more subtle, still wintery, rustic and a little bit of bling.

I found the piece of fence at an auction this weekend and I loved how it fit right into the mirror.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 042

I had picked up this beautiful brown wool yarn recently and knew I wanted to use it.  I made a garland with some chandelier crystals and wrapped some hearts cut out of cardboard.  The centers are symmetrical, but I liked how they are kind of wonky.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 056

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 059

I hung my key I found in Paris from a milk glass plate that actually has heart cutouts, a milk glass vase and two candlesticks.  I placed yarn balls on the candlesticks and added a few more crystals.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 064

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 068

I loved this small key because the opening is a heart.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 071

It is a little difficult to tell from the picture, but the birds are in an actual birds nest, placed inside the bowl, backed with an ironstone dish with some more keys hanging.  I added a few pinecones as well.  I placed the whole vignette in an old champagne crate to contrast the white and to give it all a little more presence and height.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 074

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 079

I really love the contrast of the rustic fence with the mirror and the chandelier crystals.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 081

It is a little difficult to see in the picture, but the fireplace surround is slate so I added a little love note to my family.

“You are so loved”

I feel very loved because my husband has a fire all staged for me in case I get cold!

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 097

There are two milk glass candle holders filled with crystal door knobs.  The bingo style letters are from a set I found a while ago at Marshalls.  I had been wanting the ones I had seen in catalogs, but they were so expensive.  I leaped at the chance to get these on clearance.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 102

And what would a Valentine display be without some love birds.  These were randomly in a box from an auction box lot and they made a nice addition.

Valentine Mantel and auction photos 103

I will be sharing at some of the parties in my sidebar, stop by and see what everyone else is sharing.

Off to a busy day, I hope you are all well!

Take care,

Laura

No comments: