Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fashion Inspired Pillows

These are the pillows I have been working on…


Pillows 112

So, I know we all love Anthropologie, especially the incredible styling of the catalogs.  When the fall catalog came I was so in love with all of the equestrian styled fashions and backgrounds.  I have shared some of the images below..







Ralph Lauren also had some amazing ads this month with all kinds of beautiful tweeds and plaids.  But despite my best efforts, I can not find the ad and I really did not want to tear it out of the catalog in the hair salon.

Anyway, somewhere in the midst of all of this I was in Joann Fabrics and found myself drawn to the suiting fabric department and I fell in L.O.V.E.  I should have taken a picture of the fabric stack, but hey, I am still learning this gig!

Then, I was getting dressed one day and I pulled out a belt.  I quickly realized that this was a belt from most likely high school and there was no way that baby was going around my waist!  It hung on my railing for several days intended to put in a bag for Goodwill.  Until, I had an idea!

So here is somehing you do not know about me.  I do not sew.  I am totally intimidated by a sewing machine.  I am going to work on changing that, but until then, I use all different versions of sewing tape. 

Here is sort of the process.  I did even get all fancy and did an “envelope enclosure” back on two of the three pillows..

Pillows 027Pillows 028

So here are my completed pillows:

First, I did one in a beautiful tweed backed with a blue herringbone and wrapped it in the belt.  This fabric was the very solid and two sided.  However, it was expensive.  I did buy in on sale but I only bought a small quantity.  I used the blue fabric on the back because I like the contrast and because that was a fabric I found on the clearance racks.

This one is definitely my favorite.

Pillows 037

Here is a close up of the fabric.

Pillows 040

Then I used another tweed for a long pillow and added some rosettes in the same fabric. This is my first time doing rosettes.  I know, nothing revolutionary.  However, I would like to thank my sister for telling my honestly that my first one stunk so that I would try again and get much better results this time.

Pillows 063

Pillows 067

I also am totally in L.O.V.E. with crewel and I have been for some time.  A few weeks after I picked up the tweed fabric I was again in Joann’s and found a beautiful brown crewel fabric that I used for this pillow.

Pillows 042Pillows 046

I have put them on the sofa and loveseat in our family room and mixed them with some of our existing pillows.  I would love to say that I made the cable knit pillow, but I actually found it on sale at Pier 1.

Pillows 056
Pillows 059

Pillows 090

Pillows 092

Thank you to the folks at The CSI Project for having a pillow inspired link party this week.  I started this project weeks ago and that was just the fire under my tush I needed!

So, I will be sharing this post at:
Visit thecsiproject.com
And the parties in my sidebar!  Thanks!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love love the pillows! You did an amazing job!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I was at Hancocks this last week and was drooling over the suit fabrics. I would love to have a man's den with lots of wool and plaids, kinda a cigar bar feel. Cute pillows!

Krista@RustikChic said...

Love all the pillow...nice work! I am in love with the whole room:)

Stacey said...

oh my goodness your pillows are awesome! the funny thing is, I was at one of my favourite shops yesterday and was drooling over a grey plaid pillow much like yours! i have some of that tape....i think you just lit my fire : )

Michael Wurm Jr said...

the pillow with the belt buckle is freakin' genius! love it!

Unknown said...

Very smart looking. You acheived the equestrian look for sure. Ralph Lauren would be proud!

Brenda Pruitt said...

These are so pretty! Feminine yet masculine at the same time.
Brenda

Erin said...

Love all of your pillows!!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

WOW. What a gorgeous selection of fabrics and treatments! I love your equestrian inspiration. I could really feel it. Very rich! LOVE.

Donna

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Visiting via the Weekend Wrap Up,I love this entire post, you have a gorgeous space

Katie Olthoff said...

Those are gorgeous! As is the rest of your home. I'm off to look at the rest of it!

Jackie said...

Love the pillow with the belt!

Megan Gunyan said...

Those pillows are amazing. I love the tweed one and the belt is a nice touch! What great inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing!

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

Wow!!! I love them all! Especially the belted pillow. You're amazing and I love your living room.

Unknown said...

I love your room, and the pillows look wonderful. Stylish and cozy looking at the same time. I love this post too. I haven't seen the new Ralph Lauren ads, but I'm using a previous ad as inspiration for our guest room makeover. I've been surfing around your blog, and I'm now your newest follower.

Kathy said...

Hi Laura

I LOVE these pillows, really nice job. I fell in love and almost bought the cable knit one at Pier One, too! Can't wait to see the whole room in person :)

Becca Ross said...

I LOVE your pillows! I'm your newest follower.

Many of the readers of my blog have been coming to me from your blog. I didn't see my blog listed on your linky parties so I don't know how they found me, but thank you for sending friends my way!

Becca
becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com